Thursday, January 28, 2010

If your name was Edward Cullen, I'd gladly let you take my blood!

This week as been deemed by yours truly as the official "scare the BEJESUS out of Rachael ever wanting to have kids" week. After one too many frightening birth stories at the gym and today having to give blood, there is just no way I'm even close to ready to have kids.


Let me add that I have had an intense fear of needles drawing my blood since I can remember. It used to be all needles, but after countless shots and vaccinations over the course of my life I'm kind of immune (pun intended hehe). I've given blood one other time in my life back in high school and I was quite a mess. I'm talking tears, shakes, sweaty palms, pleading, and spastic breathing to name a few. Let's just say I'm glad the nurses were so patient with me. I also have a weird thing about the inside of my elbow, which makes the whole process even better. No touching my inner elbow or even yours in my presence lol, I do not enjoy!


SO...now that I have insurance again (WHOOOHOOO!) I was at the doctor getting my 10 year physical and it came to be that time when the nurse takes me to the special "blood sucking" room. Not as good as it sounds fellow Twilight fans, I was expecting to see Edward too! Bummer, no dice:( Instead I got to sit on a papered bench with my arms palms up on a pillow, my inner elbows just taunting me, and prepare myself NOT to freak out. I gave the nurse STRICT instructions to not tell me what she was doing and to instead tell me a story. Yep, that's right, I asked the nurse to tell me a story to distract me. She proceeded to tell me about her grandson and I even participated in the conversation for a bit until she said the most awful words ever..."Sorry, I didn't get it." Wait, WHAT?! Cheese and Rice!! This chick is serious! No vein on the right arm was willing to participate. Time to try the left. The tears just would not stay back at this revelation. Can you picture me yet? Sad, crying, little Rachael. Ok fine, 27-year-old Rachael. Staring at the wall and having meaningless conversation with a stranger for about two minutes. To be fair, it felt like much longer!


In the end, no sticker or lollypop, but I did get hugs and sympathy from the folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to leave some love!