Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Shoulda, woulda, coulda

In my almost 31 years of life, (a little over a week until my birthday month commences! :) I have done my very best to not have regrets. I have taken chances on both others and myself, crossed many things off of my ever growing bucket list and arrived somewhat to where I always thought I wanted to be. Sure my path has changed courses as I navigated through uncharted waters whether that be in relationships, school, or jobs, but I am honestly certain that I am exactly where I am supposed to be right before I turn 31.

Question of the day to be answered: What is your biggest regret? Would you go back in time to change your actions and outcome if you could?

I'm not exactly certain that I could call my biggest regret an actual regret since the opportunity to do this was never actually presented and turned down by me. That being said, my biggest regret is not applying to study abroad in either high school or as an undergrad. As a young adult, I don't think that I ever realized just how awesomely amazing the opportunity to study and live in another county is. I was a bit on the shy side as a young adult, still figuring out the individual that I wanted to be as well as how loud:) I was not as extroverted as I am today. I know...shocker right! The thought of leaving everything that was comfortable; my family, my friends, pets and the life that I had built centered around the things that I loved was frightening. Having a serious boyfriend only added to complications and reasons for staying in both high school and college in the states. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until much later in life that some chances are worth taking at the risk of losing someone. If I could go back now, I would have opted to spend a semester in a foreign country no matter what my romantic situation was and just hoped for the best recognizing that all I would gain from the experience would be worth it in the long run. BIG words now, but back then...I would have never thought like this! Again, so funny how we change:)


I grew up in a family of five children. That's a whole lot of hungry mouths to feed! Both my parents worked hard every day to provide for all of us. I don't remember wanting for much, but we never just threw money away. The importance of working hard and saving money was something that was instilled early. I'm grateful for this. As a result, however, I honestly never figured that being able to study abroad would be an option for me financially. It's an expensive option when free public school is offered. I realize now that had I been serious at the time about studying abroad that there would have been ways for me to earn and save the money through fundraising and such, thus easing the monetary burden on my parents, but sadly, I was never really serious about it...out loud anyways. The thought of studying abroad and using the Spanish language that I was acquiring in school was intriguing, but I never took the next step.

After opening myself up to both traveling and living abroad after I turned a quarter of a century old, I now have a hint of what I might have missed out on. Would my timid personality possibly have altered my enthusiasm for traveling the unknown had I opted to study abroad in either high school or during undergrad?? I like to think not, but it is difficult to say whether I would have been strong enough to take such a big leap on my own and be stronger for it. It may have broken me instead, turning me into less of the extrovert that I have become on the path that I chose. In the end, am I sorry that I didn't study abroad in my young adult life? Yes, but only because I now long for new travel and cultural experiences. I simply jump at the chance to explore new places when ever I am able! Am I happy with the life that I have lead thus far and the person that I have become? MOST definitely! They say that every experience both positive and negative shapes you in some way to be the person that you are supposed to be. I completely agree and am grateful for the opportunities I have been offered as well as those I have seized along the way :) I look forward to continuing to grow and learn as the years roll by and hope to never have to pass on the chance to follow my travel dreams :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to leave some love!